Todd Robert Rawlings
20433 NE 3rd St. • Sammamish, WA 98074
PMP and Lean Six Sigma Black Belt certified Executive Consultant leading highly successful Top-Tier Strategic projects and teams across IT, Marketing, Search Advertising, Consumer, Enterprise Operations, Engineering, Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence, Internet/Online, User Experience, and Financial divisions. Results-oriented and highly motivational manager who encourages life-long learning, solution creativity and organization-wide innovation.
Ownership and reliable delivery of complex Lean Six Sigma and PDCA programs delivering $tens of millions in Hard and Soft benefits for my customers. Expertise, coaching and sensei leadership in Value Stream Mapping (VSM), DMAIC, DFSS and kaizen efforts with customer-centric focus on quality, proactive readiness, release management, tool best-practices, communications and project management improvement. More than 10 years demonstrated BPI, BPM and LSS program experience, ability to design/implement strategic road maps and drive multi-divisional change.
20 years team management and trusted C-Level executive mentor in Fortune 100 and smaller companies; more than eight years of managing international, multi-cultural project teams in IT Software, Legal, Internet Security, and Manufacturing.
Software expertise in MS Visio, MS Project, MiniTab, MS Office, Adobe Suites, SharePoint, etc.
Microsoft, Bellevue, WA (vendor contract through Wimmer Solutions) February 2009 – Present
Sr. Project Manager, Advertiser and Publisher Solutions Business Group (Yahoo! Search Alliance)
Provide senior PM leadership by driving team-wide project management, Rapid Project Planning (RPP) to develop work-back schedules, milestones, project plans, critical path deliverables, risk analysis/mitigation plans, resourcing, work task leveling, documentation and communication for all functions within APS and across the division. Additional responsibilities include:
§ Manage, compile and communicate detailed weekly project status reports to central PMO.
§ Drive V-team project meetings: agendas, materials, post-meeting notes and action items; Ownership of executive project reviews; PM and exec PPT decks, review cycles, sign-off.
§ Manage the team’s Action Items and Issues Log: Consolidate actions and issues from MS, Yahoo! and other v-team meetings.
§ Organize and merge (as needed for simplicity/clarity) the numerous team SharePoint sites into a single internal APS BG document resource. Utilize Wiki tools to develop/organize key knowledge on this SharePoint site into an “Onboarding and Ramp-up” tool to help guide new APS employees during their ramp-up process and increase their efficiency.
§ Manage other specific outbound team communications (e.g., APS Search Network Newsletter).
- Results: CnO achieved its goal to launch North America before the 2010 holiday season. Steve Ballmer referred to it as, “Bing is growing like a weed,” in a recent USA Today interview. Successfully built and managed the APS 12-month and release specific project plans; ramped up five core Steady-State Governance teams, upgraded the APS Search Network newsletter design; developed a solid rhythm of the business (ROB) process to gather weekly status reports – minimizing impact on staff by providing a simple personalized “ask”. GM for APS Search BG rewarded my efforts by increasing my PM scope of responsibility across all APS projects.
- Co-presenter (w/ Ellen Domb) Microsoft QBE Forum on “TRIZ creative problem solving”.
Symantec, Cupertino, CA (vendor contract through iSoftStone) November 2009 – February 2010
Sr. Lean Six Sigma Consultant, eCommerce Online Store Team
Owned and led efforts to streamline the Online Store SDLC, Release Management, Project Management, QA and Maintenance processes. Facilitated a VSM, analyzed current state processes and provided team structure (roles/responsibilities) recommendations to senior management.
Microsoft, Redmond, WA (vendor contract through iSoftStone) June 2009 – February 2010
Sr. Lean Six Sigma Consultant, Sensei and PM, MSIT Engineering Enablement and QBE
Lean Value Stream Mapping sensei, providing MBB-level coaching, GB/BB mentoring, MBB course development and event leadership for VSM projects in the MSIT division including Engineering Enablement, Service Management, Capacity Management, IT Finance, Quality and Business Excellence and numerous other groups. Co-leadership and Program Management of several business critical efforts including:
n Hardware Provisioning VSM and Pilot implementation. The SMD group was challenged with a process that took 100-174 days to fulfill new Server requests. We utilized Value Stream Mapping, Lean Analysis, and other Six Sigma tools to identify Non-Value Add activities. Coached a Green Belt and co-led PM efforts to implement the ‘to-be’ process across multiple MSIT teams.
- Results: Successfully managed project through cross-group senior level political challenges, implementation team push back and consolidating multiple parallel efforts into one. Co-led the Pilot implementation and improved the HW provisioning process from 100-174 days to as little as 6 days. Enabled SMD efforts to reduce HW spend by more than 10% in FY10.
n Application Consulting and Engineering (ACE) VSM. Led/Facilitated the Value Stream Mapping event and coached a Green Belt and PM through the Pilot phase of this effort to improve the ACE application review process. Results: Reduced project release timeframes and SEV-1 bug impacts (phase 2 pilot is still continuing with estimated $1M combined soft/hard savings) as well as increasing the team’s revenue stream thru MCS.
n Plan of Record (POR). Sr. Consultant on an effort to gather detail and map the POR milestones and owners across the entire $1.4 billion MSIT program for FY11.
WaMu/JPMorgan Chase & Co., Seattle, WA 2003-2009
VP, Lean 6 Sigma Black Belt and Senior PM, Enterprise Operations – June 2005 to January 2009
Team and Program Management with ownership and accountability to deliver Lean Six Sigma / Operational Excellence results across multiple divisions for this 50,000 employee company. Driving Cost Benefits of more than $5M (hard/budget savings) and $10M (soft/productivity savings) per annum for all business and technology divisions. Provide coaching for a team of 40+ OpEx professionals, mentoring dozens of GBs, designing and teaching a variety of BB-level courses, consulting and advising MBBs.
Responsibilities included: Initiation, ownership and facilitation of improvement projects using the rigor of the Toyota Production System, Lean, DMAIC, DFSS, VSM and Kaizen to improve customer satisfaction, grow sales and to increase operational performance; award-winning results.
Significant Work Examples:
n Project Owner and Lean Six Sigma leader for one of the CTO’s top 2008 initiatives: SAN Fulfillment process optimization. The technology infrastructure group was challenged with a process that took 110 days on average to fulfill Storage Area Network requests. Utilized Value Stream Mapping, Lean Analysis, Kaizen and other Six Sigma tools to identify Non-Value Add activities. Led efforts to improve these processes over several weeks.
- Results: Significantly improved the SAN fulfillment process from 110 days down to 12 days. Project was showcased by the CTO to demonstrate the success of Lean Six Sigma and VSM.
n Leader/Owner and Senior Project Manager for the top ’08 business initiative in the Community Lending & Investment division. Facilitated end-to-end process meetings, developed Value Stream Maps, identified root causes for a $20M tax credit variance within a portfolio of more than $2.1B in low-income housing investments around the U.S.
- Results: Eliminated $15 million in material tax credit risk and designed a process/system that supported revenue growth of $100+ million per year.
and Lean 6 Sigma consultant on a Customer Care initiative to identify IVR
issues (dropped calls) and optimize the efficiency of the Customer Service
Representative calls. We analyzed the
IVR data via reports from the Data Warehouse, applied statistical tools
(MiniTab) and gathered Voice of the Customer (VOC) from CSR, online surveys
& customer focus groups.
n Leader/Owner, Lean Six Sigma Consultant for the Small Business Banking division on an effort to roll-out 200 Small Business Specialists into 500+ Financial Centers nationwide. Gathered voice of the customer, facilitated sessions to build the end-to-end process, communications and value stream analysis of existing processes, project management coaching, and process improvement.
- Results: Identified and executed SBS training and rollout process improvements; drove the team and schedule to an early and on-budget delivery. Increased FC sales by $5M in 2008-09.
· Directed business critical infrastructure efforts to migrate teams to VM servers. Results: Less than 18 months ROI and $5 million in ongoing budget savings per year.
n Founding member of the Technology Innovation community of practice; led efforts to build an effective idea intake process, idea advocacy, and championed project implementation.
Sr. Release Manager & Sr. Project Manager, IT - Corporate Services Group – Sept. 2003 to June 2005
Senior PM for successful software development, infrastructure, and process improvement efforts.
n Led enterprise-wide program teams driving one of the company’s top-five strategic initiatives in 2007. Designed and implemented a new Agile/Scrum development process to improve the efficiency, quality, and reliability of software development across all IT divisions at WaMu. These teams were responsible for maintaining and incrementally improving more than 1200 corporate applications serving 50,000 corporate users.
- Successfully managed superiors up the chain, convinced senior IT managers of the program benefits through a series of road-show presentations and KPI statistical proof.
- Results: Coached and trained more than 400 developers, engineers, DBAs, managers and PMs on the new methodology. Yielded $12M in budget savings, cycle time reductions by as much as 80% (average was 50%) and dramatically increased new development capacity.
n Chaired the IT Data Management governance committee for corporate Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence (BI) Reporting team.
n Sr. PM and Release Manager for all of WaMu’s EDW and ERP reporting dev efforts. Managed quarterly releases, maintenance, budget, release scope, timelines and resource allocations.
n Sr. PM for core business software projects such as Enterprise Decision Engine (a loan decision application that pulled data from multiple internal/external data sources; e.g., Fidelity, FICO, Mainframe, DW, etc. and then applied a proprietary model before returning a loan decision.) Managed multiple projects within this program to ensure all stakeholder business units were on track to launch. Led as many as 25 PMs during the ebb and flow of this program. $10M budget. EDE became one of WaMu’s premier SaaS applications being leveraged across the enterprise.
Nature’s Path Foods, Inc. (MBA project through Bainbridge Graduate Institute) 2007-2008
Sr. Lean Consultant – Supply Chain Optimization
§ Led a team of consultants working on this mission critical Supply Chain optimization effort to help Nature’s Path solve their Organic Ingredient material challenges. Facilitated end-to-end process mapping, value stream mapping, value/non-value add activity analysis, communications, PR, marketing and agriculture education analysis before recommendations.
WatchGuard Technologies, Inc., Seattle, WA 2002 -2003
Director of Web Services, Sr. PM
§ Created the internet service infrastructure for WatchGuard Technology’s international subscription-based firewall security mgmt service offering for Fortune 1000+ companies. Led storefront and internet technical support operations – supporting PSS/CSS systems.
§ Managed six direct reports, a budget of $3.2M and as many as 12 simultaneous projects; consistently delivered high quality internet and network security software releases.
Microsoft (contract thru Kelly IT), Redmond, WA 2001-2002
Sr. Program Manager and Consultant - MSN Money Professional Group
§ Led the software development lifecycle for MSN’s Money Professional web service product.
§ Performed customer analysis/research, wrote software specifications, guided the project team and managed external vendors including Fidelity, CUSIP Service Bureau, and S&P.
BidPath Corporation, Seattle, WA 2000-2001
Technology and Software Development Manager, Sr. Project Manager
§ Directed a 12-person team that designed, built, tested and deployed (Release 1.0 thru 3.0) of the Windows NT server-based shrink wrap BidPath Auction, Live Internet Auction, wireless, and B2B eCommerce software products. Led BidPath’s User Experience (UX) team and worked with customers in lab and in the field, brainstormed, designed and successfully implemented an industry-first wireless Live Auction internet broadcast.
HomeGrocer.com, Kirkland, WA 1999-2000
Senior Project Manager Storefront / Manager Usability and Customer Experience
§ Recruited, built and Project Managed the HomeGrocer.com Internet development team while also establishing the Customer Experience and Usability (UX) group. Successfully delivered internet, database and system releases for this 24/7/365 eCommerce company over its lifetime.
§ Led dozens of User Experience in-lab research sessions, analyzed customer satisfaction and operational data on an ongoing basis, reported findings and drove recommendations to the Storefront, Database and CSS teams.
- Results: Dramatically influencing the success of the web UI resulting in growth to 100,000 customers and annualized sales of $390 million.
Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI.com), Kent, WA 1997-1999
eBusiness Process Leader - Online Store, Sr. PM.
- Management and leadership of the REI.com internet, QA, and Database teams. Delivered REI’s 2.0 storefront. Led 1.0 efforts for REI-Outlet.com, REI Adventure Travel and the Japanese localized REI.com.jp. Results: REI.com store revenue grew 300% over two years and was admitted into the National Smithsonian Institute for outstanding use of technology.
GE Capital Consulting, St. Paul, MN 1993-1997
Internet Practice Leader, Senior Consultant and Project Manager
- Led Internet eCommerce, IT Architecture, Process Innovation, Supply Chain and other IT projects with Fortune 100 clients including: FedEx Corporation, Aveda, 3M, Microsoft and United Healthcare. Microsoft Internet Platform and Tools Evangelist, 1995-97. Microsoft Developer Days Conference speaker on Internet cross-platform development.
Other Information Technology Experience (Details upon request) 1984-1993
- BA in Speech and Communications from the University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) in 1989 with additional major coursework in Computer Science.
- Graduate Level coursework in Project Management, University of Minnesota.
- Executive Leadership courses, University of Washington, Foster School of Business.
- MBA coursework, Bainbridge Graduate Institute, Seattle, WA, (Sustainable Business focus.) 07-08
- JPMorgan Corporate training: Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, Kaizen, VSM, Rapid Project Planning.
- PMP Certification (#81201) from Project Management Institute in Dec., 2003 (active member).
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt from WaMu/JPMorgan Chase and Co. in Dec. 2008.